Thursday, May 29, 2008

Thing #23 Wrapping Up

My favorite new tool is my blog. I've been looking for a place to rant randomly, and now I've got my own free space in which to do it. I think I'll keep it. I also really enjoyed Library Thing. No more scraps of paper!

My favorite thing about Web 2.0 in general is its egalitarianism. In a world where technology can be very expensive, the Web and all the Web 2.0 tools put sharing in this "brave new world" within the reach of everyone, if he/she is willing to come to the library and learn about/use it. Also, if the Web is uncensored, we can think that its use will promote truth and freedom. No secrets.

My least favorite tool has to be e-books in the form of NetLibrary. This database used to be a little more user-friendly than it is now. It's very restrictive in this incarnation. Let's try Playaways, or another model.

In general, my least favorite things - I have two - about Web 2.0 are the total loss of privacy when embracing the technology, and the "user-added value" thing. There is something to be said for user-added value. Model railroaders probably know better than experts how to advise on the subject of model railroading. However, librarians are in business to help sort through all the information out there to find the best user-added value. I'm sorely afraid that users will stop at the first result they see, and miss out on the best.

The library would benefit from getting more involved at the staff level with collaborative tools such as wikis, and Web apps like Zoho. Anything that would make group projects easier, or faster, would benefit everyone.

Customers would benefit from OCL's being able to teach them about blogs and wikis, photo sharing on sites such as Flickr, downloading audiobooks, GoogleDocs, and for small businesses the powerful Web apps such as Zoho.

Customers would also benefit from staff use of del.icio.us for bookmarking. An effort is already underway, I think, in the Toms River Information Services Dept., thanks to one of our intrepid Web 2.0 challengers. They would also benefit from the Reader's Advisory capabilities of Library Thing. I know I'll use it!

I'll be sharing blogging and wikis with a friend, and sent a link to my funny podcast from the Princeton Review to a family member. Thanks, Web 2.0 team, for all your hard work. I appreciate it! And I know the Ocean County Library will be better for it!

No comments: