Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Thing #10: Technology, that is the question...

I am a selective technology user with4 VCRs and a DVD recorder, but no cell phone. Technology should be the servant of man and not the master, and too often that is not the case. Perhaps that's why Apple and its products are so popular. Going back to the first GUI (graphical user interface), they've always made products that are intuitive and present a simple interface to the user. Most of us want to just turn it on and go. I don't want a cell phone, but was tempted by the ads and buzz surrounding the IPhone.

I think Steven Abram is right about the mobile revolution. It makes sense that if you have to carry one device with you all the time, it should be able to do everything you need to do. Make calls, keep a calendar, check email or surf the Web, and take pictures to boot. Email alerts or RSS feeds from the library make this a great publicity tool for programs & events! We could also make use of this for those personal home pages Steven talks about.

GPS makes sense to me, too. Having been a Girl Scout, it would be great to have something that would keep me from being lost, or help find me in case the first part doesn't work.

I'm open to e-books if they're small enough to fit in my purse!

For others, the social networking is more important. I'm looking for gadgets that will make my life easier or better.

No comments: